Course leader: Miss F Dean
Aims of the course:
- Core Maths is an ideal qualification for someone who wishes to continue to study maths beyond GCSE without studying for a full A Level. This is an ideal course to sit alongside other courses that use maths like geography, science, economics and psychology.
What are lessons like?
- We have very skilled staff who work hard to see that you are well-supported as you earn your qualifications. Although there is no coursework, we use a range of assessments to help you stay on track. We offer a number of maths clinics a week to help with revision and catch-up.
What are exams like?
- This is a one-year course and will be examined at the end of Year 12.
- There are two exams at the end of the course.
- The first is compulsory and covers pure maths.
- The second has a choice of three elements – choose one from statistical techniques, critical path and risk analysis or graphical techniques.
Recommended prior learning /entry requirements:
- You will need to have at least a grade 5 in GCSE Maths.
Recommended additional reading:
- You may use a scientific or graphical calculator in the exams.
Where can this course lead to?
- Mathematics opens doors and is a key subject for further study. Lots of university courses contain a maths component such as geography, psychology, economics and accountancy.
Why study Core Maths at St Mary’s College Sixth Form?
- We are a supportive and knowledgeable department with a strong track
record. We offer lots of opportunities to students to enjoy and succeed at maths at the advanced level.
Come and join us!