Course leader: Mrs MacKinnon
Aims of the course:
This A level specification introduces students to the dynamic business environment and the importance of entrepreneurial activity in creating business opportunities and sustaining business growth.
Learners will have the opportunity to develop a wide range of essential skills (such as researching, decision making, organisation) required for higher education and employment.
The focus of the specification is to nurture an enthusiasm for studying business using real life contexts, allowing students to develop an appreciation of the strategic, complex and inter-related nature of business issues from a local to global perspective.
What are lessons like?
- Lessons will be a mixture of teacher led activities and tasks in order for you to gain the subject knowledge and understanding, alongside researching and analysing real business organisations and current business news.
What are exams like?
There are three examinations, each are 2hours and 15 minutes long and carry equal weighting
Component 1- Business Opportunities and Functions
Component 2 - Business Analysis and Strategy
Component 3 - Business in a Changing World
Recommended prior learning /entry requirements:
- GCSE Maths and English Level 5+
- At least 3 other GCSE subjects at Level 4
Recommended additional reading
- Business news articles
- Business themed books such as One Click or entrepreneurs Autobiography’s
Where can this course lead to?
- Level 4 Apprenticeships
- Full Time Employment
Why study A Level Business at St Mary’s College Sixth Form?
- Experienced teachers who work to improve each and every student in order to help them achieve.
- All businesses need enterprising employees to drive their organisations forward, to have ideas and initiatives to instigate growth, and to ensure that businesses survive in this fast-changing world.