APPLIED GENERAL SCIENCE
Course leader: Mr B Latimer
Aims of the course
During this course you will have opportunities to:
- Develop greater understanding of scientific facts together with an appreciation of their significance in new and changing situations.
- Develop greater expertise in the area of practical work and the link between theory and experimental work.
- Continue to enjoy a personal interest in the study of science.
- Recognise the responsible use of science in society.
- Develop a deeper awareness of science in the changing world and its importance.
What are lessons like?
You will study this subject for five hours a week in a science laboratory. Opportunities are given for students to study some aspects of the course at Hull University.
What are the exams like?
Students will take examinations during the summer of Y12 and Y13.
Recommended Prior Learning and Entry Requirements
This course builds on the knowledge and understanding from the GCSE Science suite of courses. It is expected that you will have achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above in science. During the course you will need to be able to communicate effectively and research information from a variety of sources. You will also be expected to handle and interpret data so a secure understanding of GCSE Mathematics (grade 4) and English (grade 4) is expected.
Recommended Additional Reading
Where can this course lead to?
- Follow a degree course in environmental science, nursing or pharmacy. UCAS handbooks will give you further guidance about the wide range of courses to which you can progress.
- Enter a higher national course in science or a related programme.
- Take up employment in one of many related employment areas, for example pharmacy.
Why choose to study Applied General Science at St Mary’s?
Applied General Science gives you the opportunity to go onto many areas within scientific study and careers. The course is delivered by staff that have a great deal of expertise in delivering the subject and who help us to provide the diverse, fresh and stimulating learning environment we strive for.